.
.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

LIGHTS!!!


First off, allow me to express my thanks for all your kind and thoughtful comments concerning the Rudolph Jack in the Box!!! You are such an encouraging group. Brenna teaches us every single day the meaning of joy and simplicity. Some days more than just that, maybe even some boundary setting and stubbornness thrown in. But for the most part, joy is a big deal around here! I am waiting to hear what my Aunt says about another Rudolph for Brenna. Seems her son-in-law is a manager for Lowe's and "if anyone can find Rudolph, he can!" We did try some other boxes at a smaller, local toy store in our area. I tell you what. They just don't make them like they used to. The metal is very thin and the figurines either didn't pop up when the lid opened, or the lid never opened. OR, Brenna couldn't get the silly thing stuffed back into the box. Who knew a Jack In The Box could cause so much commotion??


Do you all put up Christmas lights on the outside of your house? My sister told me her neighbor has a reindeer with a swinging head on their roof. Just in line with her bedroom window. ACK!!
One house in our neighborhood has switched to all blue lights. Kinda frosty!
My husband keeps up our tradition of lining our house with lights and then adds a little bit extra...


It used to be a tradition on our cul-de-sac to have a line of lights across the street from house to house. At one point, we had five strands going across the street, 10 houses involved. Families have since moved and the neighborhood has changed, but guess who still has their strand of lights and is still brave enough to hang them each year?


We call him Santa Doug around the neighborhood when this happens. Sometimes he wears a santa hat while stringing the lights.
This year, our neighbor, Dirk was kind enough to volunteer to help. It gets very scientific with all the steel cable and extension cords and pool poles and all...


Actually the pole comes in handy to take off the extra weight for Doug as he pulls the cord to our house and fastens it to the sidewall. 
It also comes in handy if a car is too tall for us to let through the easy way.


I'll have to ask my other sister how to take pictures of the lights at night. It's quite pretty..


Especially since it's been so clear out here. Oh, and HOT. It was 85 degrees today!!!! What is that?

Hope you are all having a peaceful holiday time!

9 comments :

  1. Hi Lynn,

    It looks like you've got Santa's number one elf on the case of the Rudolph-in-the-box. I called the nearest Loew's, but they claimed to not even know what I was talking about. Let me know if you want me to check farther afield.

    I'm sure your lights will look fabulous. We keep ours simple. A single strand wrapped around garland and strung down the length of the porch. We used to have those dangling icsicle lights but they are a bugger when one goes out. And it always happens its 10 degrees and the wind is blowing. LOL!

    As for stringing to the neighbors -- too far away when you live in the country.

    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they kept the video up, but here is a community near mine that 23 neighbors work together to do a display every year, and they collect food for the foodbank! http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wsyx_vid_8174.shtml
    Personally I like simple and traditional decorations, but I love our "Griswolds"---it's a family down the street that goes all out. What I love is even in the midst of their tackiness they have standards: on Christmas Eve they turn every thing off but the glowing manger scene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwvgO7iJ684
    here you go, this is really crazy (I bet these guys throw a heck of a block party in the summer!) They even set up a radio station that you tune to as you drive through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There girly!

    Yes we still do the lights outside.
    We have had the icicle lights for years now.. My hubby want to change to those type of bulbs you have in your photo.. He says thats what he had when he was a kid..

    I just read the Last post and once again my friend it was such a touching post..
    My thoughts are you only live once and if Playing with a Rudolph in the box make her happy. Just do it!
    I was so happy when I saw you bought it for her. I so hope you can find another.

    Hope you have a great week!

    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that the search for Rudolph is still on! I hope he is found.

    Every year hubby has been sort of a Griswald type with his lights. And every year we have problems and some go out. Every. Year. He has really pooped out this year and just put a sad little string across the front. Really pathetic looking.

    85? We are freezing. The wind is unbelievable today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I have a beaded star tree ornament hung on a bookcase knob...

    Does that count?

    Ho! Ho! Ho!

    My cap is off to Doug!

    WooHoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stringing lights from house to house would be so pretty! We didn't get many of our lights up this year as it got too cold and snowy so early this year, but still enough to be festive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know me...I'm all about the 'GLOW'!!!! Doug is a good little Santa's Helper & I know your lights will look wunderbar!!!
    Gutentak..
    Fraline Susie
    {why did I just turn German, lol}

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed with the light extravaganza! I feel good when I have lights on the tree and call it good. Every year I hope I'll get more up, put some up outside, because really lights are one of my favorite things about the holidays, but every year there just doesn't seem to be time.

    Good Luck with Rudolph!
    --Catherine

    ReplyDelete