.
.

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Long Road Home






Morning, everyone!
It sure is hard work holding down the fort while Doug and Lauren are on the RAAM.
Not.
So far the hardest thing we have done is get out of the pool and decide where to go for dinner.
Lauren, on the other hand, texted me this morning after finishing EIGHT HOURS in the follow vehicle. This consists of driving behind a cyclist at all times at no more than 20 m.p.h....at night. 
Like this:


Doug called me this morning after finishing a mere FIFTEEN HOUR shift of riding. Apparently, the motor homes had to take a different highway than the cyclists, so they had 130 mile separation before they could all meet up and change the cyclist rotation. That means 15 hours in a Yukon with three other cyclists, riding a 10 mile shift, trading out, sleeping/sitting in the car through the other 2 rotations and then getting back on the bike. All the way through Arizona. 
Lauren posted a great blog about it HERE.

Tonight, it's Doug back on the bike with his crew and Lauren and her fearsome team back in the follow vehicle through the Rockies. Yep, at night.
 I happened to look up the weather for Wolf Creek Pass.
Kinda wish I hadn't.
It's an elevation of over 11,000 feet and there's a chance for rain with a low of 33 degrees.



Right now, the guys are riding through Monument Valley, Utah and the sunrise is gorgeous.

Back at the O.K. Corral, we have huge plans of an Orthodontist visit and a movie.
Don't tell the team, o.k.?

xo
lynn


Don't forget!! Best comment from the beginning of the race until the finish line wins a Team Learning 4 Life t-shirt!!!!







8 comments :

  1. Oh her post was beautiful and funny :)
    Yes,sure, I remember that Oprah, lol!
    I tried to comment but wouldn't let me ;9
    Any Lynn, I think I got confused and thought that you were on the road already, now I totally get it and I am back home, poo.
    I will get my brain functioning by the end of summer. LOL
    Take care and wish Lauren Luck on her drive for me.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Lynn!!! This is just amazing!!! I'm going to jump over to Lauren's blog and see what's going on over there. Have a wonderful day!! : )

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn,
    Challenging and a little scary, but oh, so beautiful! I am so envious of all of the things they are going to see...and right there from their bicycles. You don't get must closer to nature than a bicycle. Hooray for Lauren!!! What a trooper!
    Big hugs to you and prayers to all the bikers and helpers,
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, Lynn! What gorgeous scenery! Am saying prayers for your safety. Be careful, My Friend! Hugs & safe travels, Terri xoxoxo

    PS Yes, the little bird charm on my envie was a shrinky dink - the kind that you buy in the craft store for an ink jet printer. They're a LOT of fun. You just have to remember that they shrink a LOT and you have to poke a hole in the top before baking. (I only mention that 'cuz from time to time, I've forgotten! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Riding at night? In 33 degree temperatures? That sounds awful! I can not even imagine the rubbery legs Doug must have had after 15 hours on the bike.

    I really wish I could see this adventure in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh gosh lauren's post was wonderful. had to leave a coment there also. what a great family you have lynn!
    those boys on the bikes are fantastic, and so are the crews. what an amazing undertaking.
    good job holding down the fort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to check on Laura's post.... these pics are incredible! t. xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great photo.I still can't believe how far they ride.. CRAZY.. I need to go take a nap just reading this. Hee Hee.

    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete