.
.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Art is not a thing; it is a way. Elbert Hubbard M



Good morning, all!
 I am getting ready to do another show in San Juan Capistrano this weekend with my cohort, Wendy. Thankfully, it's not nearly as stressful as the first time. I say that now, but wait until someone oohs and ahhs over something and then asks the price and walks away. I might just start taking a poll this weekend of why people buy what they buy!
In the meantime, I have joined an online collage class through Julie Prichard. It is a fascinating process. My head is spinning through it most of the time, as it is backwards from the way I create a collage. I can't wait to see a finished product. (It's slow-going for me!) I am doing lots of catch-up, but that is the beauty of an online class. We first worked on "universal" backgrounds:


I then put paint all over the images.




I am learning about copying for collage. Lots of time is spent at the copy center. Toner copies are best. Bright white paper is the best to copy images onto.

These are war ration stamps my mom gave me that I copied to use in the collage.




She has lots of memories of never having sugar. Something we cannot even fathom now.

This is for a "designated shape" background:




Simple, but who knows how it will look in the end?





I moved on to begin the transfer background:




This was an exercise in sheer frustration. I LOVED the background with the blues and greens. I felt pretty confident moving on from that. Then I placed the transfers. (the egg shapes and rectangular shapes). There is a "quick method" and an overnight method. The quick method quickly taught me a few things:




Do not be cheap at the copy center. I left all my bright white paper at home, so I just used the regular copy paper in the copy machine. Doesn't work. My image disappeared before my eyes.




I thought maybe it would work better with the overnight method, but to no avail!!




Brenna doesn't seem to mind, but I think it's a big mess. I am also learning that I am SO not patient with myself. I am to learning this process, right? Learning and process being the key words.
Process: –noun

1.
a systematic series of actions directed to some end: to devise a process for homogenizing milk.
2.
a continuous action, operation, or series of changes taking place in a definite manner: the process of decay.

I like the decay part. I think I got that handled on the eggs!!!!

Learn:
–verb (used with object)
1.
to acquire knowledge of or skill in by study, instruction, or experience: to learn french; to learn to ski.

Note the word experience. I am guessing I need to try, try again and not expect a masterpiece from the get-go. 
Sigh.

Well, all I can end with is don't let your day decay and enjoy the process!!!



8 comments :

  1. I find this very interesting becausse I have never really liked any collage that I've tried to do. I realize that it's for the exact reason that you stated: It is a process which takes patience, and I'm not good with the patience thing.

    Hmm. Just like life, which is really nothing more than a really detailed collage. Look at me, all philosophical this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your process! I've fumbled with a few collage projects, but really I need to work at it more I thing. I love what you came up with

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn,

    I love what you have done. I have purchased several online classes and love getting the assignments and have done nothing:-( You are doing really well.

    Did you even sell the beach collage you had at the last fair? I have been thinking about that a lot...

    Lov,
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your painted backgrounds friend...how cool all of those turned out!! I know me...I'd just be mad that the eggs messed up my cool backgrounds. Thanks so much for coming up today, I had a blast. {read your email so you can see your blog buttons} :) See ya soon & I will rememeber that in order to learn, you must go through the process! Good advice!
    Smiles,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynn,
    I really enjoyed this post. And look forward to more on your collage process. I'm having trouble with my blog so I'm also having a lesson in patience, process and perseverance. But it's hard.
    Hugs, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. this makes me want to try it!! perhaps the title "deviled eggs"???? i think it's all perfect! keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, maybe I am weird {maybe???} but I like your "messed up" eggs! I think they look really cool!

    And that background color is awesome, to say the least.

    I wish I had more time to look at this post, but at the moment someone else is waiting for this public computer, so I suppose I better not be too much of a hog...

    Really makes me appreciate my own computer back home!

    Good luck at your show!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a GLORIOUS Mother's Day Friend!!!
    Hugs,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete