.
.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Some Of My Favorite Things


Crazy days are ahead. The last weeks of school are always nutty, and not much art work is getting accomplished, so I thought I would share my most favorite place and what I love about it.
Laguna Beach.
Take a look here to read a short history about this magical place.
Let's begin with waves. 
Oh, I do love ocean waves!


They are constant,




surprising,




Powerful,




a force to be reckoned with.




I can go to sleep to the sound of the waves, and wake up and listen to tell if the tide is in or out.




The sound gives me a sense of protection, but at the same time I have the utmost respect for them.

I have been rolled, pounded by and have had my knees scraped raw by them.




Ahh, but I have held the hands of my girls as we jumped over the froth




and I have plunked my chair down at the water's edge to sit with them as they played for hours digging, building, catching sand crabs. I have girls that would roll and roll in the end of a wave, waiting to see where they end up and realizing that a bathing suit full of sand isn't the worst thing in the world. Or we would stand hand in hand, letting the waves come and go, watching our feet disappear going deeper and deeper into the wet sand and then pulling out and realizing how deep they really went!




I have taught them to dive under an incoming wave, to roll with a "floater", and to love the feel of your skin after swimming and drying in the sun. We have tried boogie boards, Doug has tried a surf board and done a mile swim in open water, we have snorkeled, and will try stand up paddling soon.
One of the best parts of being a mom has been sharing my love of the ocean with my girls and seeing them love it as much as I do.

I'll leave you with this thought:

"Sit in reverie, and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind." ~ Longfellow



More to follow!

8 comments :

  1. I wish I could take you to my island even for a day, where the water is crystal clear, and when there are no waves and the sun is hot, you can sleep for hours. I loved your post, I love the sea and I respect it. Thank you for reminding me of the smell, of sea water, and the feeling of sand underneath my feet. Have a wonderful day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Waves are something I rarely see...but I would love to live by the ocean for awhile =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! Lucky thing to live by the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love not only the pictures but your words describing it. It's no wonder that it's a favorite place!!

    I've never had the pleasure of visiting California. Are the beaches there pleasant and cool or steam baths like ours here on the east coast?

    Showing my ignorance...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So serene dear friend...I'm sooo tired. I miss home & my shop & you!
    Hugs,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Lynn~ I haven't been to the ocean for years...thanks for bringing it back to me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn,
    I love the quote. Here in Michigan we are surrounded by water, not the sea but, when you look out and all you see is sky on the horizon it feels the same.
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn,
    This is soooo beautiful. You have the gift of taking beautiful pictures then matching it with your glorious words. I love the ocean, too, but I love swimming in the warm ocean! I count snorkeling among one of the greatest thrills of my life.
    Love you, girl,
    Suz
    P.S. Thanks so much for your nice words about our jewels.

    ReplyDelete