.
.

Monday, May 10, 2010

All She Wants To Do Is Dance...



I have so much to catch up on!!
 This weekend was a doozy, but in a fun way. A Jr. High dance, an art show in San Juan Capistrano (again), a sweet Mother's day...

Let's start with the dance.
I have posted other pictures of Miss Brenna at her dances with her support group. But this one. Well, this one was from her school. Yup. The big Junior High Dance. The one in the gymnasium. The much anticipated, talked about, dramatized dance. You remember. THE Dance. Yep. That's the one. The one that Brenna calmly over dinner one night before The dance said to me, "Mom, I hope you don't mind, but I'm thinking I'm not going to wear my dress to The dance."
Huh?
Apparently, this was not a highly dramatized dance in Benna's mind. But we did convince her she needed to wear the dress!


I think it was worth it, don't you? 



What is it for me about sending her to a jr. high dance? She had an absolute blast. She was among the first dancing as soon as she walked in the door. 



They all squeal when they see each other.



She has friends from every corner of this school.



I know. So stinking cute.





As a Mom, I had so many thoughts and emotions running through my head. It is her last year at this school. She is a big 8th grader now. What will happen next year, in high school? Will she still feel connected? Will there be more dances? Where will her place be? Will there be community in high school like there is here?




This sweet girl knows she is loved and accepted. She is secure in who she is. These thoughts about the future are my own. They are based on my past experiences, or my eldest daughter's experiences. They come from places that I know of, not Brenna.  I need to let Brenna have her very own experiences, in her own way, with her own thoughts. 
 I guess, once again, she is showing me that I need to follow her lead.


9 comments :

  1. Hey Lynn,

    I am first tonight. I am sorry the show didn't go better. Boy I have been through that!

    It is so easy to project out feelings onto our children.I still have such anxiety for Katie. It us much harder when she is at home. That is why kids her age aren't at home!

    Brenna is so social, Lynn. She just amazes me. It looks like the others just love her. She will probably
    conquer the large group...just seems to be in her nature. Of course, if I were her mom I would worry!

    Soon you will have both babies home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I have to say that that dress is cute, and my Miss Whimsy would go crazy for those shoes. She's a creative converse addict. I thought for sure that she'd be wearing a pair to match her prom dress.

    And, ah... the rest. Every time mine transition from one thing to the next, I get the same old mental questionaire. I guess we have a terminal case of mother's love...

    The mutual affection with her friends is evident in the pics. The one with the boy making that face is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lynn, Than you so much for visiting my blog. This being my first time to your blog, I loved reading about your daughter and her spirit of independence. I loved the mix of the black and white dress and the colorful converse, so cool.
    I wish I could say stop worrying about her but I also have daughter as well.

    I'm looking forward to following your blog. Much Love and take care. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Was it a black & white dress code? I so love the braces on the teeth. 8th grade was the best time for me! It looks like she had a ball!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynn,
    Looks like Brenna had a ball. I think you must be providing a pretty good mix to raise such a happy, sweet, free spirit as Brenna appears to be. Hope you had a great a mother's day because by all appearances, your a great mom.
    Hugs, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again,
    Thanks for the suggestion of contacting your friend about my layout problem. I may have to get help from someone because I sure can't figure it out. I'll be in touch.
    Thanks again, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I don't have much experience in this department.....no kids and I didn't go to THE dance.

    But Brenna looks stylin' as always and I still love her shoes!

    I think some how it will all come out ok since you have done such a fine job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn~ this is the nicest post~ I just love Brenna's sweet smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwwwwwwww. And she looked very pretty, love the dress.

    -c
    yapping cat

    ReplyDelete