.
.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Just Plain 'ol Yum.

So, yesterday was fairly grueling what with Brenna's endoscopy and all. She was awesome. The nursing staff and doctor were really great. The results were great! Well, nothing surgically needed to explain why she can't keep food down sometimes, so just more behavioral management. Anyway, we were beat and came home after being there for 6 hours and crashed. When it came to dinner time, all I could think of was junk. I get tired and want to just stand in front of the cupboard and eat carbs. Not a great example to Brenna right now.

I chose to make this really easy recipe in the February issue of Real Simple. It's called Chicken with Broccoli Rabe, Apricots and Pine nuts.  It has 6 ingredients and 3 directions. I figured I could handle that.  SO glad I did!!!


It took all of 25 minutes to put onto the table. I feel kinda silly photographing my dinner, but I was so excited about it, I just had to share it with all of you! This is what blogging does. You make dinner and think, "HEY! This is good! Why, I think I'll share it with blogland!! I know they'll get excited with me!"

Ingredients:
2 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
4  6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
kosher salt and black pepper
6 dried apricots, sliced
2 Tbsp pine nuts
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed

Heat 2 tsp. of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 each salt and pepper and cook until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, 7-8 minutes per side; transfer to plates.
SIDE NOTE: I used my George Forman grill instead. I don't have fancy pots and pans and I truly don't think 2 tsp. of olive oil will cook 4 chicken breasts without burning the crud out of your pan and chicken...
Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a second skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apricots, pine nuts, and garlic and cook, stirring, until the pine nuts and garlic are golden brown, 2-3 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon
SIDE NOTE: I didn't even bother to slice the apricots. And I don't own a slotted spoon, so it all got tossed into a small bowl.
Add the broccoli rabe, 1/4 cup water, amd 1/2 teaspoon salt to the second skillet and cook, covered, until the broccoli rabe is tender, 2-3 minutes; add the apricots, pine nuts, and garlic. Serve with the chicken.
YES, ANOTHER SIDE NOTE: I also don't see why I should wash two pans, so I just did the broccoli rabe in the same pan as the apricots.

I also threw a baked potato in the microwave and then on high in the oven and had that with dinner. YUM!





Enjoy!

6 comments :

  1. oooohhh..yummm!!!!! Love brocolli rabe and pine nuts!! It looks so delicious! And, I just have to laugh at your comment that you feel silly taking pictures of your dinner. :) My family patiently waits (and laughs) at how much time I take photographing my food!! It's part of blogging my friend! Hope Brenna is doing better and can't wait to hear about her dance! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn,
    That looks so good! I am feeling crummy today and no one here to wait on me so I have been eating peanut butter and crackers. It is health food store peanut butter, though!
    I have my copy of Real Simple and I still haven't opened it. I will be sure and find that...it looks so easy, healthy and delicious!
    Hugs,
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds good Lynn, I'm not a great cook but I think I could makethis one. :) Thanks for the receipe & I'm glad everything went well with Brenna!!!
    Hugs,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear things went "good" at the doctor...

    Well, I appreciate your photography efforts at the dinner table!

    And I also appreciate your style of cooking---no fancy pots and pans, not slicing the apricots and not wanting to dirty another pan!

    A cook after my own heart and it looks like you got excellent results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, I'm glad Bre's procedure went well. That is good news. Second off, you are cracking me up! And I need to send you a slotted spoon! :D And third...dang that looks good and easy. Thanks for the tip! :D

    hugs,
    -c
    yapping cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great! I photograph my food all the time, so that's not weird to me at all. You have inspired me though. I've been subscribing to Real Simple since its premier issue, and I've never tried their recipes, though I've always wanted to. I'm going to do it now!

    ReplyDelete